Autumn is a busy time for Values Into Action NJ! During the months of October and November, VIANJ partners with organizations to bring 2 conferences to our community: The NJ IDD Youth Transition Conference (YTC) and the NJ Self-Direction Conference (SDC). Both events helped reach 1,600 people with disabilities, their family members and the professionals who serve them, with informative virtual workshops on transitioning into the DDD system and self-direction.
Now in its 3rd year, the YTC hosted over 26 live workshops featuring topics such as:
- Coordinating Housing and Services
- Finding Support Staff After High School
- Inclusive Higher Education Options
- Navigating the Division of Developmental Disability Services
- Group Homes & Day Programs- Are These the Only Options?
The 2023 YTC keynote speakers included Paul Aronsohn, Mercedes Witowsky, LeDerick Horne, Melinda Carnassale and Jonathan Seifried.
The YTC is now NJ’s go-to premiere transition into adulthood conference bringing new information to our communities each year. You are invited to review recorded workshops and resources on this link.
The Self-Direction Conference launched its 2nd annual conference this year. Values Into Action NJ partnered with The Collaborative for Citizen Directed Supports NJ to bring stakeholders together on Zoom for 3 days of learning. This year’s featured keynote speakers included Val Bradley, David James “DJ” Savarese, Dr. Jennifer Johnson and Paul Aronsohn.
The 2023 SDC highlighted live Zoom workshops on learning opportunities including but not limited to:
- Self-Advocacy: An Essential Element for Self-Direction Success
- Home Accessibility: Identifying and Removing Barriers
- Creating High Quality Supports Brokerage Services
- Self-Direction Using the Charting the Life Course Framework
Many of the workshops at this year’s Self-Direction Conference included Self-Advocates! You can view the recordings from the 2023 SDC on the Collaborative’s YouTube channel.
We enjoy the privilege of being able to bring helpful information and learning opportunities to our disability community members and we hope that you join us in 2024 for next year’s conferences!